We are currently looking for self-motivated PhD students to work on projects related to high resolution printing, printed soft electronics, and micro/nanomanufacturing, starting from Fall 2022 or Spring 2023. Interested students, preferably with background in Manufacturing, Mechanical Engineering, Precision Engineering, Printing, and other related areas, can send their resumes to Dr. Dong via email.
The research from Dr. Dong’s group focuses on the innovation of novel manufacturing processes, manufacturing systems and tools, and modeling and optimization of the manufacturing processes and systems for advanced micro/nano-scale manufacturing and biomedical manufacturing applications. Our recent projects include high resolution printing for flexible and stretchable electronics; super resolution additive manufacturing; data-driven tip-based nanomachining; machine learning, process modeling, and optimization for nanomanufacturing processes.
More Information about our research >>
The paper from Dr. Dong’s group, “Fabrication of Self-Recoverable Flexible and Stretchable Electronic Devices” received NAMRI/SME Outstanding Paper Award in 46rd North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC 46) at College Station, TX.
“New Technique Allows Printing of Flexible, Stretchable Silver Nanowire Circuits“, a recent research from Dr. Dong and Dr. Zhu’s group has been reported in the News, such as NSF, Science Daily, TechXplore, Nanowerk, Electronics360, WRAL TechWire, etc
“Metal Printing Offers Low-Cost Way to Make Flexible, Stretchable Electronics“, a recent research from Dr. Dong’s group has been widely reported or highlighted in the News, such as Science Daily, NSF, NanoWerk, R&D Magazine, Indian Express, Iran Daily, etc.
Dr. Jia Deng joins the Systems Science and Industrial Engineering Department at Binghamton University – State University of New York (SUNY) as an Assistant Professor in Fall 2017. Congratulations.
Dr. Hantang Qin joins the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering at Iowa State University as an Assistant Professor in Fall 2017. Congratulations.
More News from Dr. Dong’s group >>
About the PI
Dr. Dong joined the faculty of Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the North Carolina State University in 2008. Prior to joining NC State, Dr. Dong was a post-doctoral fellow at the Center for Nanoscale Chemical-Electrical-Mechanical Manufacturing Systems (Nano-CEMMS) at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he received his Ph.D. in 2006 from the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. Dr. Dong’s research interests include Micro/Nano manufacturing, multi-scale mechatronics and manufacturing systems, instrumentation, control and optimization, MEMS, biomedical manufacturing, bio-testing and characterization, etc
More Information about Dr. Dong >>
Selected Recent Publications from the Group
- Ping Ren, Jingyan Dong, “Direct Fabrication of VIA Interconnects by EHD printing for Multi-layer 3D Flexible and Stretchable Electronics”, Advanced Materials Technologies, 6(9), 2100280, 2021.
- Jia Deng, Lan Jiang, Bing Si, Huimin Zhou, Jingyan Dong, Pual Cohen, AFM-Based Nanofabrication and Quality Inspection of Three-Dimensional Nanotemplates for Soft Lithography, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 66, 565-573, 2021.
- Fei Cheng, Jingyan Dong, “Data-Driven Online Detection of Tip Wear in Tip-Based Nanomachining using Incremental Adaptive Support Vector Machine,”Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 69, 412-421, 2021.
- Yang Cao, Jingyan Dong, “Programmable soft electrothermal actuators based on free-form printing of the embedded heater”, Soft Matter, 17, 2577-2586, 2021.
- Ping Ren, Yuxuan Liu, Runqiao Song, Brendan O’Connor, Jingyan Dong, and Yong Zhu, “Achieving High-Resolution Electrohydrodynamic Printing of Nanowires on Elastomeric Substrates through Surface Modification”, ACS Applied Electronic Materials, 3(1), 192–202, 2021.
- Yang Cao, Jingyan Dong, “Self-Sensing and Control of Soft Electrothermal Actuator”, IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, 26(2), 854-863, 2021.